NEWS

The mayor of Chicago prohibits the collaboration of the city police with the National Guard in the midst of Trump threats

NEWYou can now listen to Fox News articles!

The mayor of Chicago, Brandon Johnson, a democrat, signed a decree prohibiting the city police on Saturday to collaborate with national guard troops or federal agents if President Donald Trump follows his threats to deploy them in the city of Windy.

“This decree clearly shows that this president will not come and deputate our police service,” said Johnson at a press conference with other city leaders.

The mayor’s ordinance affirms that the Chicago police will continue to enforce state and local laws, but will not work with the National Guard or federal agents in patrols, arrests, application of immigration or other law enforcement actions.

“We will protect our constitution, we will protect our city and protect our people,” he said. “We don’t want to see tanks in our streets. We don’t want to see torn families. We don’t want grandmothers to be thrown at the back of unmarked vans. We don’t want to see the harassed homeless chicagoans or disappeared by federal agents.”

Pritzker says that “the action will be greeted by an answer” after Trump threatens to send the National Guard to Chicago

The mayor of Chicago, Brandon Johnson, speaks at a press conference following the comments of President Donald Trump on perhaps sending American troops to Chicago and Baltimore.

The mayor of Chicago, Brandon Johnson, signed an executive decree to prohibit the city’s police from collaborating with the troops of the National Guard. (Getty Image / Kamil Krazaczynski)

The ordinance also asks the city police to carry its official police uniforms, to continue to identify themselves, to follow the procedures of the body camera and not to wear masks so that they can be clearly distinguished from all federal operations.

“The Chicago police service will not collaborate with military staff on police patrols or the application of civil immigration,” said Johnson. “We will not have our police officers who work hard every day to reduce deputy crime to make traffic stops and checkpoints for the president.”

The order stipulates that the deployment of federal military forces in Chicago without the consent of local authorities “undermines democratic standards, violates the sovereignty of the city, threatens civil freedoms and the growing risks of violence rather than obtaining peace.”

This order comes as Johnson and the Governor of Illinois JB Pritzker argued with Trump on the potential of the national guard troops deployed in Chicago to fight crime in the city.

Johnson cited data showing that violent crime Has decreased last year, including homicides and flights plunging by more than 30%, and shots lowering by almost 40%.

Pritzker also warned Trump that “the action will be greeted by an answer” and that a federal deployment without the request of the State would be “unconstitutional” and “non -American”.

The mayor of Chicago calls the Trump National Guard’s plan to “the most blatant violation of our Constitution”

Brandon Johnson speaks on Capitol Hill on March 5, 2025

The mayor’s order says that the Chicago police will not work with the National Guard or federal agents on patrols, arrests or other law enforcement actions. (GRAEME SLOAN for the Washington Post via Getty Images)

Trump replied To Democrats leaders last week saying that Pritzker is “incompetent” and that Johnson “no better”.

The White House rejected Johnson’s order on Saturday, saying that the Democrats were trying to make efforts to reduce a partisan issue.

“If these Democrats focused on repairing crime in their own cities instead of making advertising waterfalls to criticize the president, their communities would be much safer,” said White House spokesperson Abigail Jackson, in a statement in Reuters.

Johnson said on Saturday that he was considering legal and legislative measures to arrest the federal government, including any prosecution.

“We will use the courts if necessary,” said Johnson.

Trump speaks with the National Guard and the staff of the police

President Donald Trump speaks with members of the soldiers of the law enforcement and the national guard in Washington, DC (Jacquelyn Martin / AP Photo)

Click here to obtain the Fox News app

The previous deployments of the National Guard in Chicago were coordinated with local officials, according to Reuters. The authority of the president to deploy troops is limited under American law, although there is no restriction on the sending of glacial agents or other federal law enforcement agents.

Trump’s threat to deploy troops in the windy town comes after strengthening the presence of federal police forces Washington, DC, In an attempt to reduce crime.

Hundreds of federal agents and troops of the National Guard were deployed in the streets of DC in the context of the federal takeover of the district.

Reuters contributed to this report.

Related Articles

Back to top button