NEWS

The Dem senator breaks his ranks

NEWYou can now listen to Fox News articles!

While some Democrats have been the subject of a 200 million dollars plan by President Donald Trump to renovate the ballroom in the White House, Senator John Fetterman, D-P., Defended the investment in an interview with Fox News Digital.

“The plans will be made in a way of good taste and historical,” said Fetterman. “They do not put in a situation of Dave & Buster here, so I think that the upgrading of some of these installations seems quite normal.”

But Senator Richard Blumenthal, D-Conn., Described Trump’s last business as something other than “normal”.

“The project at the White House is a gigantic Bondoggle,” said Blumenthal. “The important question is not only the damage it could make to the architecture of the White House, but also what the contributors would have on Trump if they give this project.”

Trump gave the oval office a golden youthful treatment – and covered the cost itself

President Trump smiling

President Donald Trump speaks at the Oval office on August 14, 2025 in Washington, DC (Images Andrew Harnik / Getty)

The press secretary of the White House Karoline Leavitt said journalists last month May Trump and private donors finance the estimated cost of $ 200 million in the new ballroom.

Trump appears on the roof of the White House in the middle of the talks of historical renovations

“Now he will request money from private contributors to this boondoggy, and the question is – what type of influence and impact will these contributors have?” The Connecticut senator questioned.

Senator Ted Cruz, R-Texas, said that the criticisms of the Democrats “were surprising for anyone.”

“This is the essence of their party,” said Cruz. “They wake up animated by hatred for Trump and hatred for the American people who voted for him.”

The Texas senator said he was grateful to the “phenomenal project” and accused Democrats to hate everything Trump does.

“A white house ballroom will be used by the presidents, the Republicans and the Democrats, and it is funded without a penalty of taxpayers’ money,” said Cruz.

Senator John Fetterman

Senator John Fetterman, D-P., Is addressed to journalists in the Senate metro on February 12, 2025 in Washington, DC (Anna Moneymaker / Getty Images)

Senator Chris Coons, D-Del., Recognized, however, that the White House needed an event space.

Leavitt said that the president is unable to accommodate major functions with world leaders without installing a “large unsightly tent about 100 meters from the entrance to the main building”.

But Coons said that he “does not know if he really has the power to fundamentally modify the shape and scale of the White House without a historic association of the White House or an architect who approves it”.

“The last time I checked, there is nothing in law which says that” Cruz retaliated.

Coons also raised a problem with the project calendar. Leavitt said the renovations will start in September and will be “completed well before the end of President Trump’s mandate”.

White house ballroom

A rendering of the McCrery architects supplied by the White House of the new ballroom. (White House)

“My concern, given what I have heard so far, is that it would not be completed on its calendar, so that it is the former president and whoever succeeds will be trapped with what could be a white elephant,” said Coons.

Senator Roger Marshall, R-Kan., Added that the ballroom is very “Trumponian”, but said that “he will do it well”.

“I’m glad they do it with private dollars,” added Marshall. “I think it will be a good thing to add and put this Trump stamp on the White House.”

Click here to obtain the Fox News app

And Senator John Hoeven, RN.D., said, telling Fox News Digital that the new ballroom would be an excellent addition to the White House and celebrated that there would be “no fees for the taxpayer”.

Amanda Macias of Fox News Digital contributed to this report.

Related Articles

Back to top button